Wednesday, December 16, 2009

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

Ecclesiastes 11:4 “If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done.”

I was shocked today to see that I missed a special week in the spring. March 2nd to 9th was National Procrastination Week. I know that procrastination is an issue with some people. I know it because I am an experienced procrastinator. I have many things for which I have adopted the philosophy of “why do today what can be postponed until tomorrow?” Still, an entire week for it? That is either major overkill or it’s a bigger issue than I realized.

I am sure that there are many reasons that people procrastinate, but this got me thinking about life decisions. It got me thinking about making pivotal moves in our lives. I wonder if, in these cases, it is because we define a personal set of conditions that need to be met before such decisions can be made.

The bible gives us several examples of procrastination. Jonah put off his trip to Nineveh. Gideon ran from his call to lead and made excuses. Felix sent Paul away, claiming that he would call for him in a more convenient season. Solomon puts it so simply in Ecclesiastes. It is as if he is saying “What are you waiting for?” So, what are we waiting for?

Waiting for that perfect moment may be more about making excuses. About creating obstacles that aren’t really there, placing the blame on an outside force that cannot be controlled. Saying things like, “When my kids grow up, I’ll go back to school” or “When my life settles down, I’ll stop smoking” or “Right after the new year, I’ll…(you fill in the blank)” Solomon warns us to stop waiting for that “perfect time” to make your next move. Perfect timing doesn’t exist. It’s fictional. You’ll wait forever for it.

Some of the greatest rewards in life may come after taking the greatest risks. Perfect conditions would eliminate the need for pure faith and trust in the provision and direction from God. He is the only one who determines the perfect time to move in our lives. If we are to live a life of purpose and make an impact upon those around us, we must stop putting things off and waiting for the ideal situation.

Christ did not invite Peter to join him on the water while they were calm, but in the midst of a great storm. Noah was not instructed to build an ark as storm clouds appeared. There was no ideal time for Moses to approach Pharaoh concerning the release of the Jewish slaves. Waiting for the “perfect moment” is an exercise in futility. It leads to disappointment and disillusion. That’s the point; it is not about the circumstances surrounding the promise that God has given each of us. It is about the promise. If we believe, then there is no better time than the present to pursue our destiny, to take that step of faith, or to live the life we were meant to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment