Sunday, December 6, 2009

FAITH OVER FEAR

Mark 4:40 “And he said to them, ‘Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith.’?”

From where does fear originate? When do we start becoming afraid? Are we born with some innate fear that simply shows up in tough moments or is fear developed and cultivated over time? I don’t remember being afraid of much as a young child. Maybe the dark, but that’s about it. I don’t remember getting embarrassed easily. I don’t recall feelings of inadequacy. I do remember being willing to try new things. I do remember dreaming of great days ahead. I also remember jumping off porches onto trampolines, slides to monkey bars, and so on.

I have concluded that fear, especially spiritually speaking, is not a part of the person that God created. Paul taught Timothy that “God has not given us the spirit of fear…”(2 Timothy 1:7). So if it wasn’t there from the outset, where does it come from and when do we get it? In some cases, I guess, we become fearful due to past life experience. Recently, my youngest son came up with a fun game of jumping from one bed to the other in his bedroom. He did it for several weeks and each time we would stop him. But not too long ago, I heard him jump, then a thud, and a cry. When I reached his room, I found lying on his bed, bleeding from his forehead. A trip to the emergency room and three stitches, ouch! I haven’t heard him jump since. I believe he has learned some fear.

Isn’t it interesting how the enemy loves to use the “thuds” in our lives to teach us fear? Perhaps you were hurt in a relationship, and now you’re “afraid” to love again. Maybe you tried something and failed, and now you’re “afraid” to try again. Maybe you’ve been rejected, and now you’re “afraid” to speak up or offer your talents. No matter what circumstances introduced us to fear, it is certain, that fear lives and grows in a faithless atmosphere. When we lose touch with the truth of God’s love and providence for us, we become afraid.

In Mark Chapter 4, we find a definitive reprimand. In the aftermath of a terrible storm that could have capsized the boat and drowned them all, Christ asks “why are you afraid?” Then, he answers his own question, “You lack faith”. Make no mistake, they were in a storm and it was bad. Without Him, they probably would have perished. But the size of the storm meant nothing to Christ. It is like He is saying “faith abolishes fear”. You can’t live by faith and walk in fear. Let us all ask ourselves, “what I am afraid of?” Is it greater than God? Can it change what God has promised me? Can it separate me from His love? The answer is a faith-filled “NO”.

I don’t remember when I became fearful or what initially caused such fear. I do, however, know what causes me to live in fear,from time to time. Failing to walk in faith is scary. Let faith abolish your fear and face life with a new found peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment