Tuesday, December 29, 2009

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

Ezra 7:28 “I felt encouraged because the gracious hand of the Lord my God was on me.”

When I was a child, I collected GI Joe action figures. I had hours of fun playing with those toys. Sometimes, I would come up with this grandiose plan of setting up the figures with all of their guns, backpacks, army gear, etc. I would plan to place them all over our family room with the design of simulating an all out wartime situation. (I know it sounds silly, but I was like nine years old). If memory serves me well, I don’t recall ever completing my entire plan. I remember, often times, getting about half way through setting everything up and then realizing that I had already spent an hour. I would become discontented with the fact that my “well-laid” plan was way too involved and I would become bored. Then, I would disassemble in ten minutes what I had spent an hour creating. So, although I had a big plan in my head, I didn’t have the determination to finish the job.

Have you ever had aspirations of accomplishing something? Yet, upon review of all that the task would require, lost a measure of hope that it was possible? I am certain that all of us have dreams and desires within our heart. There are surely things that we all wish to do or perhaps wish to become. It’s true. I have grown up a little since then. I don’t play with GI Joe’s anymore. But I can liken that type of scenario to some real life things for me. There are so many things that I want to do and so many things that I want to become. Many of the dreams I have are big dreams. And that’s okay. I serve a big God who gives us these big dreams and then gives us the gifts to make these dreams come true. However, I have, way too often, fallen into the pattern of setting out to fulfill a dream and falling short. I begin to assemble the pieces. I make arrangements. Sometimes, I even begin to do or to be what I aspire to do or be. But then, if I am not careful, something changes. Maybe, I look (through my own eyes) at all that is still to do. Maybe, life’s strains and pressures take a little of the luster out of my wishes. Soon, I am in danger of disassembling these plans and moving on to something else.

In Ezra, King Cyrus had been moved by the Spirit to release the Israelites from captivity. They returned home. The Lord stirred the hearts of the leaders to rebuild them temple. But that was just the beginning. Rebuilding the temple was not going to be easy. They faced much opposition from enemies. These enemies tried everything from threatening the workers to bribing them. This process was a long one. It encompassed the reign of more than one Persian king. I wonder if anyone thought, “If I would have known that it would be this difficult, I would have never started this project”. I wonder how many threw their hands up and said, “This will never happen” or “It’s going to take too long”.

However, in the midst of all that stands Ezra. Ever believing that the rebuilding of the temple was according to God’s purpose. He represents God’s people and makes such a telling stating. “I felt encouraged because the hand of God was on me.” God’s presence reduced every obstacle to nothing. The choice that confronted Ezra is the same choice that confronts you and me. Will we choose to recognize the hand of God as it pertains to our hopes and dreams? Will we come to grips with the fact that those dreams are only there because he placed them within us? Or, will we continue to become daunted by the “complexity” of the situation? Will we look at all that needs to be done or will we look at all that He is doing? No matter what your dream may be; whether it’s being something or building something, be encouraged and know that God’s hand is upon you. And with God, all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment