Wednesday, December 23, 2009

COMPROMISE AND A QUICK FIX

Genesis 25:32 “…What good is my birthright to me now?”

Have you ever wanted one thing, but due to some constraint (time, money, location) chose something less ideal? At some point, we probably all have “settled” in some area of life. Maybe you wanted the five bedroom house, but could only afford the four bedroom house. Perhaps you wanted the seven day cruise but could only get four days off work. Maybe you wanted a white Christmas but you live in Arizona. Life is full of choices and compromise.

Esau, however, made an irrational compromise that cost him dearly. Coming back from a long hunting trip, he discovers his conniving brother, Jacob, preparing stew. Jacob, no doubt, was plotting this moment. Esau returned starving and smelling fresh stew. As he asked for food, Jacob makes a strange offer. Trade me your birthright, in exchange for a meal. It matters little whether or not Esau could actually relinquish his birthright. The real issue is Esau’s flippant attitude towards the birthright. He willingly surrenders it in exchange for one meal. “What good is my birthright to me now?” he asks. His trade off would be like if I was craving filet mignon, but chose a double cheeseburger because McDonalds was right across the street. The cheeseburger might fill my immediate hunger. But rest assured, when the hunger wore off, I would still want the steak. We see later in Genesis how Esau felt about this series of events after the meal digested. (Read Genesis Chapter 32)

Looking back, I now see moments when my nonchalant approach to God’s promises and my God-given destiny has cost me dearly as well. There were moments when I didn’t want to wait on God. There were times when I thought I could find a cheaper way to God’s promises. Like Esau, I looked at life as infinite, thinking that the moment for reaping was eons away. What I now realize is that for every quick fix and spiritual compromise, I am giving up ground in my pursuit of God’s purpose.

It is important for each of us to be vigilant concerning the choices we make. We must ask ourselves, “Are the choices I make today about more than today?” “Am I choosing a quick fix or instant gratification without thought of tomorrow?” There are two facets of Esau’s decision that we ought to compare to our own decisions. First, Esau’s appetite was strong. His heart walked after his eyes. In other words, he chose whatever was instantly appealing to him. James 1:14 “But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed”. We must, if we are to avoid Esau’s fate, be sure to walk after that which is of the spirit. Second, Esau’s reasoning was weak. His immediate circumstance prompted flawed thinking. He sold out in a panic. We should be mindful that in difficult times, it is most important to be still and thoughtful.

No doubt, we will deal with moments of want and moments of immediate need. Neither, however, changes God’s purpose for you and me. Let us make the choice to avoid the quick fix and the fruitless compromise. Don’t sell out for a cheeseburger, when God has a banquet waiting.

1 comment:

  1. I love that phrase -- 'His heart walked after his eyes.' It is a good check! That is so true of so many decisions I have made -- thankfully, I mostly now measure decisions against what God's destiny is for me. That's the best way, and there is no "settling."

    ReplyDelete