Tuesday, December 8, 2009

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SUFFERED

1 Peter 5:10 “the God of all grace…after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast.”

I wonder how many times we have looked back over a tough period of life with disdain. If you are like me, perhaps you try to never remember, hoping that by blotting it out of your mind, you can remove past hurts. It is true that some wounds, if left unattended, can fester and hurt for much longer than they should. One truth about suffering is this… “It will happen”. Another truth about suffering is this… “It will pass” (if we allow God to heal us). Suffering and trouble are parts of life. They should not be, however, a way of life.

So for the believer, the real question should be, “how do we deal with suffering?” Not just while we are suffering, but before and after those tough moments. Peter, speaking to Christians that were being severely persecuted for their faith, offers encouraging words. He reminds them that God is a God of grace. He goes on to not shy away from the truth of their suffering. Then he looks ahead to the future and the restorative power of God. In effect he is saying, “Suffering is real and it hurts, but it will end. And afterwards, God will restore you. He won’t just send someone with an encouraging word, but He himself will make you strong.”
In the example of Peter, we as believers should always look at suffering in the light of God’s grace. Let us strive to believe that our moments of suffering are but for a little while, in light of the power of God’s restoration for us. And that the strength that will be poured into us after, will far surpass the impact of the original suffering. Let us always allow God to make us better because of what we have endured.

One version of the text says he will “settle you”. I have so many times heard the phrase “calm before the storm.” I am so thankful that God works to bring calm after the storm in our lives. With our hearts fixed upon God, suffering will transition us into a moment of strength and peace and lead us into the next big thing that God has in store.

The following passage speaks volumes concerning the role that suffering may play in our lives as long as those moments are surrendered to God:

A Creed for Those Who Have Suffered

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve.
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey...
I asked for health, that I might do great things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things...
I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise...
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God...
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things...
I got nothing I asked for - but everything I had hoped for;
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among men, most richly blessed!

-unknown Confederate soldier

No comments:

Post a Comment