Sunday, December 20, 2009

TRUE TO HIS WORD

Leviticus 10:3 “I will show myself holy among those who are near me; I will be glorified before all the people.”

There should be little question that God’s word is absolute. If He says it, it is true. Period. End of paragraph. These types of statements are sometimes difficult to make and even more difficult to hear. It seems true that many prefer to avoid the concept of God as a God who will judge those who fail to act and live in accordance with his commands. In today’s society, many are looking for a more “palatable” type of faith. Something that keeps us feeling comfortable and never challenged. The power of God’s love for us can never be diminished. Neither can the truth of his words.

As a father, I am often challenged to be consistent in raising my children. As a parent, I am responsible to set parameters for my kids. My love for them must drive me to establish guidelines that will help nurture and instruct them. It is my responsibility to lead them into things that are right and guide them away from things that are wrong. I have great kids. They are, however, no different from any other kids. Well, for that matter, they’re not much different from adults. They push boundaries. They, sometimes, try and see just how far they can go. If I say, “Don’t touch”, they may test me to see if I really meant it. If I say, “Go to bed”, they may get up a couple of hundred times. I must set expectations and give potential consequences for disobedience. At that point, the ball is back in my court. Will I be true to my words? Will I give my children the impression that my words have no meaning and that they can make their choices apart from my instruction? I must be true to my words. Not in spite of my love for them, but because of my love for them.

In the Old Testament, we find an account where Aaron’s sons, the young priests, failed to adhere to the strict guidelines set forth in God’s law. God acted as He said He would. In this manner, God showed himself to be true. He says, “I am holy” and “I will show myself to be holy”. He says that by keeping my word, “I will be glorified before all the people.”

I know that this is an Old Testament account, when the law ruled. However, God did not stop being holy under the new covenant. The New Testament is plentiful with instructions from God. These instructions are accompanied with great promise. For example, James 4 tells us that if we draw nigh to God, He will draw nigh to us. The Apostle Paul writes in Galatians 6:7 “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” God is not mocked…He is holy.

These absolutes ought not bring condemnation to the believer, but instead hope. God’s word is for our guidance…to strengthen us. It, according to the psalmist, is a lamp and light for our life. If we ignore the things God has spoken to us, we place ourselves in danger of missing blessings and reaping trouble. But, if we are faithful and true, he promises to bless us beyond measure. Because, He is holy. He will be glorified among us.

Let us live with the comfort of knowing that our God is faithful and just. And that the words He gives us are life-giving and full of promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment