Monday, January 12, 2009

DETERMINED AND DESTINED

Read Ruth Chapters 1-2

Key Verse – Ruth 2:12
“May the Lord, God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge, reward you fully.”

The story of Ruth is nestled in the middle of great historical accounts concerning the early days of the nation of Israel. Though it is somewhat obscure, it holds a powerful message of loyalty and the destiny attached to such loyalty. If you read this account, it doesn’t take long to see that Ruth believed in her heart that her destiny lay with Naomi.

What is so moving to me is that Ruth didn’t just feel that way when her husband was alive. She wasn’t convinced of God’s providence only when she was prosperous and problem free. With her husband gone, she seemingly had no earthly reason to remain with Naomi. How easy would it have been for Ruth to simply say, “Well, I guess it just isn’t going to work out; time to move on”. But no, Ruth was loyal. Even though Naomi herself practically begged Ruth to move on, Ruth wouldn’t budge.

This story made me think of the times that I have prayed for direction from God. I have wanted to know his plans. There have been those times that God has spoken to me and I have jumped up ready to head in that direction, only to encounter a problem. Something didn’t go the way I had imagined. It has been at those moments that I found myself facing a decision. Do I abandon the plan that God has set before me or do I dig my heels in and continue to believe God? Now I know that the religiously proper thing to say is, “BELIEVE GOD – NO MATTER WHAT!” But when circumstances change, when what was on your horizon has faded away, it’s easier said than done.

Still, if we spend our life jumping from one plan to another, looking elsewhere every time something shifts it is difficult to move forward, to learn the lessons that God is trying to teach us, and to see the working of God’s master plan. I cannot count the times that I have wanted to jump to something new. But I would be trading in valuable ground that has been gained. My wife and I have looked at each other and said this many times concerning our destiny, “God said it and it is still true”.

Hundreds of years later, the Apostle Paul wrote this in Galatians 6:9 “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” I know that, like Ruth, when we stand firm in the promises of God no matter what circumstances may come, we speak loudly concerning our dependence upon him. We take refuge under His wings. I can think of no better place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment