Wednesday, January 7, 2009

THE EXTENT OF GRACE

2 Samuel 9:1 "David asked, "Is there anyone still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for Jonathan's sake?"

Over the past few months, I have found myself reexamining the things which, in the past, I have viewed as simple enough to move beyond in consideration. The grace of God, unmerited favor, you know that thing that has changed our present and future, is something that I have acknowledged as present in my life, yet I must admit that it has been quite some time since I truly examined the extent of his grace.
It wasn’t a book on grace, a sermon, or lecture that generated this new introspection. It was my life itself that helped me to take a second look at God’s love for me. I realized this year that God found me when I wasn’t looking, loved me when I wasn’t worthy, and rescued me when I didn’t deserve it. It was this epiphany that helped me to see how easy it was to take for granted both God’s love as well as the relationships that God had placed in my life.
I read in 2 Samuel 9:1 “Then David said, ‘Is there yet anyone left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan’s sake?’” As I examined this story further, it hit me personally. Grace is positive and unconditional acceptance in spite of the other person. Grace is a demonstration of love that is undeserved, unearned, and unrepayable. I don’t want to drag out the story. So here’s the short version. David looks to show this type of grace and he looks at the family of a man that made a good portion of his life miserable. Saul had left David running for his life for a long time. Still David made a promise to Jonathan, Saul’s son, that he would not cut off Jonathan’s descendants. What is so significant about this story is that it was custom in eastern dynasties that when a new king took over, all the family members of the previous dynasty were destroyed to ensure there would never be a revolt.
So David promised Jonathan that he would not carry on this custom. But David goes way beyond the promise. He asks, “Is there anyone?” No matter whom they may be, “Is there anybody?” And he found someone. Jonathan had a living son named Mephibosheth. David sent for this son, brought him into the palace, and restored him.
Grace is not just God saying, “I won’t destroy him”. It’s God saying “I am going to find him and restore him”. I have asked myself two questions: (1) Do I show that type of grace to others; and (2) Do I live my life as if I am within the sphere of God’s grace? If I cannot answer “yes” to the first question, then I must say “no” to the second. It is easy to say, “Look, I’m nice, I’m cordial”. It is quite another to demonstrate the type of grace that David did. That type of grace that seeks people out in order to love them.
Here’s my personal lesson. Sometimes, I play the part of David. I need to love those that have made it tough. I need to seek them out and show them the grace of God that is the driving force of my life. I always play the part of Mephibosheth. I forever am loved by God with a favor that is undeserved. God has prepared a palace for me, the sooner I accept residence there the better…for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment