Friday, January 9, 2009

SOMETHING TO TAKE THE EDGE OFF

Read Ephesians Chapter 4

Key Verse – Ephesians 4:32
“Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.”

I am seeing more and more how rough and abrupt our culture has become. People seem to have less and less time for common courtesy. Now, I know this is a generalization of negative proportion. Of course, I realize that there are wonderful people in the world. Many of my friends are some of the sweetest, most generous people I know. Yet, I find myself alarmed at the number of times that I have witnessed someone “giving someone a piece of their mind” or blowing their horn in traffic over the past couple weeks.

Sure, the holidays can be hectic, especially if you were, like me, shopping for that perfect gift in the waning hours of the Christmas shopping season. And yes, for many of us, life seems to be a little tricky these days. But recently, I saw two things in a matter of 30 minutes that made me wonder what is going on and why are some folks so agitated. I was enjoying a late breakfast. I was sitting drinking coffee and finishing up my eggs and sausage when a couple came in to the restaurant and sat down at the table directly across from me. When they sat down I happened to look at my watch and noted that it was 11:25am. Shortly afterward, the woman at that table began yelling(and I mean yelling), “Excuse me, Excuse me, does anyone care that we’re here? We have been here for quite some time and have not even been noticed!” I looked at my watch again. The time was 11:27am. I smiled and thought “wow”. After that I went to a nearby gas station. When I went inside to pay, there was an elderly man at the register. He seemed to be struggling to get the money out of his wallet. After maybe 15 seconds, a young man behind him said “Look! Have your money ready when you come in!” I felt so sorry for the older gentleman.

These instances made me reflect inwardly. I know there have been times that I have been less than pleasant. There have been moments, after a long day, that I have failed to exhibit the patience for my kids that I should. There have been those times that I have spoken sharply to someone for little or no reason. And there have been times that I have failed to notice the needs of those around me. Perhaps, we all have those moments. I don’t know. Maybe that is what makes us human.

But Paul, in Ephesians 4:32, links kindness, tenderheartedness, and forgiveness to our acknowledgement of God’s forgiveness towards us. I must admit that when I find myself more focused upon God’s love for me, I am more gentle, kind, and tenderhearted. When I am more conscious of His forgiveness, then I seem less “edgy”.

When pressure, anxiety, and frustration begin to build and it seems more difficult to show the softer side of you, remember God’s forgiveness of you and his immeasurable love for you. It will take the edge off.

No comments:

Post a Comment