Thursday, January 15, 2009

LONGEVITY

Today is my grandmothers 93rd birthday. I must admit that that number is mind boggling to me. I took a few minutes to call her today. The conversation went as they normally do. I said, "Hey Mema, how are you?" She replied "Oh honey, I ain't no count". For the next few minutes we made small talk. She went over the list of all who have called her. Then, she really went over the list of all who haven't called her. I told her how great she's doing and how thankful she should be for her health and for her family. After a short time, I told her I loved her and said goodbye.


The gravity of "93 years old" kind of sunk in today. My grandmother was born in 1916, right in the middle of the First World War. She has lived through wars, The Great Depression, prohibition, the 60's, and so much more history. When Barack Obama is sworn in on January 20th, he will be the 17th president during my grandmother's lifetime. My mind cannot rap itself around the concept of all she has seen and heard. She is not one to reminisce often, but I can only imagine the stories she could tell. What a great life she has lived.


Her resilience is even more remarkable. My grandfather passed away over 18 years ago and "Mema" is still going. She is still wanting to get out and go. If she sees my aunt get ready to go to the supermarket, church, a restaurant then she wants to go. As I thought about her and her great life, I begin to think about longevity. It seems that longevity and stability are not as common as they used to be. People seem to be less patient with their careers, marriages, friendships, churches, and so on. That line of thinking made me very thankful. I have been so fortunate to live a life surrounded by longevity. My parents have now been married over 45 years. My father has always stuck with things even when they seemed tough. It truly was instilled in me at a young age that jumping from plan to plan and never setting yourself can lead to an unproductive life. I will admit that starting things is fun and exciting, but seeing the finished product is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

Hebrews 12: 1-3
"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds."

I have been confronted so many times with the desire to give up, to bail out, to say "it's too hard" or "it's not worth it". Life will make you feel that way some times. I have to ask myself the question every now and again, "Do I believe the promises of God are worth the wait?" Surely they are..But I need to stick with it. I can't jump from plan to plan. I can't jump from place to place. I must allow God to finish the work He began in me. God will bless me along the way, but I want to become the person God has designed me to be. To do so, I must commit to longevity. I must say, "I will stay the course!" Yes, it requires some toughness, boldness, and a little stubbornness, but when I look back over my life for God I want to see the many victories won. I want to be able to say "what a great life".

It is normal to get a little impatient sometime. My grandmother said to me today, "I am getting a little anxious to go". I knew she meant to go on to meet Jesus. I smiled and said, "I know you are, but when God is ready...Mema." Heaven will be an eternal reward for my grandmother. For you and I, God has an amazing reward for those that are faithful, for those who never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment