Saturday, July 17, 2010

WORDS OF COMFORT

Micah 2:7 “If you would do what is right, you would find my word comforting.”

“Don’t talk to strangers.” “Brush your teeth.” “Don’t eat too many cookies.” “Wear your seat belt.” These are all things that my parents said over and over to me as a young person. I must admit that at the time these words would cause me to roll my eyes and say “Yes, I know.” It seemed that they were always telling me what to do and what not to do. It often created a lot of tension in our home. As I grew older, I would find new and inventive ways of being disobedient. I often wondered why they were trying to control me so much.

Now, I am a father. Surprisingly enough, I often say, “don’t talk to strangers.” “Brush your teeth.” “Don’t eat too many cookies.” Buckle up.” I now realize that it isn’t an issue of control, but of love and guidance. My kids respond the same way, with a roll of the eyes and the all too familiar, “Yes, I know.” If I knew then what I know now, I would have never been bothered by the instructions of my parents. I would have, instead, been comforted to know that they loved me so much that they were willing to say it over and over and over again. I hope that one day my children will feel the same way.

Isn’t it funny how as Christians we can sometimes respond like children to God’s word. “Walk after the spirit.” “Flee the very appearance of evil.” “Don’t be unequally joined to unbelievers”. “Give.” “Love” “Forgive.” Sometimes the words of the Lord can reveal things to us that catapult us into an opportunity of self-examination. Remember Hebrews 4:12 “The word of God is powerful. It is sharper than any two-edged sword…It exposes the innermost thoughts and desires.” In that moment, we face the proverbial “fork in the road”. Do we hear the words and allow them to guide us? Do we become agitated by them and look for an easier way?

If we allow God’s word to bother us, we are in danger of looking for cheap alternatives to God’s blessings. I can say from experience that I have always been less content when I knew my life wasn’t lining up with God’s word. My usual conduct in those moments is to try and rationalize how I’m right and that somehow the Bible is misinterpreted. I will follow after what I want.

In our scripture, the prophet gives some powerful words. He says, just do what’s right and God’s word will not be offensive. You won’t have to look for a more comfortable interpretation. You won’t get caught up in an enlightening movement that makes you feel good, but never challenges you. Trust the one who inspired the scripture. Live by the infallible instructions offered for your benefit. In him you will find comfort. It’s like Micah is saying “there is peace in knowing that you are doing what is right according to scripture.” How true that is.

Today, I still am comforted in thinking of how much my parents loved me. They loved me enough to tell me the truth. God loved us enough to send us his word. It won’t always confirm that we’re right. It will always lead us to the comforting right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment