Saturday, January 9, 2010

RELENTLESS PURSUIT

Matthew 9:21 “for she thought, “If I can just touch his robe, I will be healed.”

I am not an outdoorsman, at all. I don’t fish. I don’t hunt. I don’t watch people fish or hunt. It’s just not my thing. I did, however, stumble across information about a show that can be seen on WILD TV. The show is called Relentless Pursuit. Catching title, huh? It was so catching that it intrigued me to look a little deeper online about this show. Here’s what I discovered – These guys are crazy!! They will hunt anywhere, at anytime, and in any conditions. No joke. They hunt 500 pound elk in Canada, in the winter. These guys hunt deer, elk, coyote, and bears – just to name some. They will do whatever necessary to achieve the “big kill”. It seems to me that nothing keeps these guys from hunting. Although, I doubt I will ever faithfully view Relentless Pursuit, I must admit, the tenacity of these gentlemen is, although misguided if you ask me, impressive.

In Matthew chapter 9, we find an account of a woman with a great level of determination. She was sick and had been sick for twelve years. She hears of Jesus’ appearance in the area. No doubt she had heard of this man and the many miracles that he had already performed. I imagine that upon hearing the news of his coming, some measure of hope rose up within her.

Hope rose up within her because when she heard of Christ’s good work, she believed. The process of this woman’s miracle began the moment that she believed. Then her faith prompted the next series of events that are so emotional and powerful for even us today. In this moment, having faith that was just strong enough to get her in the crowd would not be enough. Her faith had brought her into the presence of the almighty. Now, her faith would have to push her so much more.

She encountered a seemingly impassable crowd. Everyone wanted to see this miracle worker. So, there it is. Would she allow an obstacle to weaken her faith? Would she disappointedly return home still sick? Or, would her pursuit of healing be relentless? Her faith was the kind of faith that wouldn’t quit, therefore it couldn’t fail. It is quite possible that this sick woman had to scratch and claw her way to Jesus. Maybe she was knocked down, but she got up. Finally, she touched him and she was healed.

You and I should believe with that determination. Our pursuit of God’s presence and his subsequent blessings should be relentless because it is driven by an insurmountable faith. We must ask ourselves. What will we do when we meet an obstacle? Will we be overcome with skepticism? Will disappointment determine our course of action? Will we lose faith? Or, will we press on as we are emboldened by faith?

The Pursuit of God does not come without impediment. It won’t be easy. I wonder if the woman deemed her struggle to reach him to be worth the reward of touching him. Surely, she didn’t regret the sacrifice or the bumps and bruises she may have received. When you want to touch God for an answer, a blessing, or a miracle pursue it relentlessly. You will never regret the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment