Thursday, June 10, 2010

STOP AND CONSIDER

Job 37:14 “Stop and consider the wonderful miracles of God.”

Life is definitely fast paced. There seems to be so much to do. There seems to be so many things that compete for our attention. When my first child was born, it seemed as if life would stay that way forever. Although deep down I knew it wasn’t true, it just seemed like I had all the time in the world. There was just so much that I wanted to do. I now have three children. They are all in school. My daughter (my oldest) watches a lot less of Mickey Mouse and a lot more shows with real people. Even though, she still crawls up in my lap and wants to “snuggle”, I sense that things are changing. It won’t be long before time with her friends will be more appealing than time with Dad. Oh, how I dread that day.

One thing that the passing of time is teaching me more and more is an appreciation for the things that matter most. My family, my friends, my health, my peace, my joy are the gifts that God has given me. There are many other things that are appealing to the natural eye. Money, jobs, possessions, worldly achievements are things that God uses to bless us, but they are not the foundation of our lives.

Unfortunately for some, this truth is only realized when the real gifts are lost. When our kids grow up, we wish we could go back and do things differently. “If I only had more time”, we might say. When we are faced with difficulties that shake our faith, we turn to friends and family to encourage us. Our jobs, homes, or cars will not speak a word of hope to us.

The key is living in the realization now, not the regret later. Our scripture offers us great guidance. “Stop and consider the wonderful miracles of God.” It is a direct instruction. Stop. If only we could just stop long enough to look around. Have you ever asked yourself, “Where did the time go?” Every time I look at my children, I think it. I can’t stop time from passing but I can be sure that I make the most of every blessing God has given me.

I find it so meaningful that this scripture is found within the context of a story about a man who had it all and lost it. God has done great things in our lives. Make no mistake about it. The only way that we will notice and appreciate God’s work is to stop running in circles, stop scrambling for something else that is temporal, and stop talking about the next big thing. Take notice of what you have. It has been given to you by almighty God. Don’t take it for granted. Let him be the foundation of your hope and peace. Enjoy every minute of the simple things in life. Don’t wait until it is too late to appreciate the here and now. Defend against regret by recognizing the moment. Slow down. God is so evident in our lives. Consider his mighty works. Let it build your faith and strengthen your foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment