Sunday, April 11, 2010

YOU'VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES

Luke 3:22 “…and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

What do you want to be when you grow up? Do you remember being asked that question when you were growing up? When I was growing up it seems like all the boys wanted to be policemen and firemen. GI Joe and Superman were my TV and comic book heroes. In the living room I would watch the action as Superman used his x-ray vision to look through brick walls to find the lady in distress.

I don’t know about you, but as I watched those cartoon heroes, and was influenced by the real life ones I had at home and school, I didn’t really know what I wanted to be when I grew up, but I wanted to help people and save the day just like those guys.

Think it no accident that God has written into each of our hearts that same epic. Every great book or movie or play is the same. The characters, setting and problems may change, but the story is always the same. Things start out quiet, then events begin to take place that create a crisis, then a hero emerges that brings victory. All the great old-time westerns have that theme; just watch any episode of Bonanza or the Lone Ranger. Even the love stories are written with that element of crisis, a hero emerges and saves the day.

Did you ever think about Jesus growing up and being asked by folks, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Of course most would assume that he would be a carpenter like his father. He was certainly trained in that trade. But Jesus knew from an early age what he had been sent to do. “When I grow up I’m going to be the Savior of the world.” Now that’s ambition. But it wasn’t ambition at all – it was his purpose. “When the fullness of time came, God sent forth His Son,” the Scriptures say.

The human body of Jesus Christ had been groomed to go to the cross. For thirty years Jesus prepared for this moment. The eternal destiny of humanity hung on his decision to follow through, and the very character and truthfulness of God was on the line. The Bible says “He was obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”

Today God is writing the epic of your life. It doesn’t matter whether you prefer westerns, romances or sci-fi, the story is the same. Satan is waging war in your life for your heart. God wants you to abandon all for him. He wants you to surrender all. He wants you to love him with all your heart and all your soul and all your might. I think the most effective thing Satan does in our lives is not to turn us away from God, but simply to keep us from full surrender.

Now here’s the good news: you are the hero of your story. You’ve got what it takes. On a day long ago Jesus Christ set his face to the cross of Calvary; but today God’s inviting you to set your face to your cross too. “If any man will follow me,” Jesus said, “let him deny himself daily, take up his cross and follow me.” If you’ll do that today, God has greatness in store for you. You were created for this. You were brought into this world to be a lover and a follower of God. You were placed here to bring glory to him. Surrender to that calling on your life and live blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment